Youth Health Advice
SERC Health is a Youth Health Advice Service which is here to help all our students to stay healthy and well (you do not need to be a student at SERC to attend).
A qualified nurse Ruth Ewing is available to meet students individually and confidentially. This service is provided by staff of the South Eastern Trust with the assistance of qualified staff from other community projects in the following campuses:
• Lisburn Campus – Monday 9.30 – 12.30
• N’Ards Campus – Tuesday 9.30 – 12.30
• D’Patrick Campus – Wednesday 9.30 – 12.30
• Bangor Campus – Friday 9.30 – 12.30
Gabrielle O’Neil of South Eastern Trust who is responsible for coordinating this service across all of the SERC campuses states “My experience is that young people have many health related worries and concerns around sexual health and unplanned pregnancy, alcohol and drug use, smoking and emotional health concerns like anxiety and depression. Rather than worry about these issues we would like you to come and discuss your concerns with us so that we can advise and guide.”
These are all difficult issues to be dealing with, but the Youth Health Advice Service means that you can get help and advice from professional health staff while you are at college.
This is a drop in service, for 16 – 25 year olds across the SE trust area, and is centrally located at each campus, or if you prefer you can book an appointment by email and expert help and advice can be provided in relation to:
- The use of alcohol and drugs;
- Testing for sexually transmitted diseases (not involving any intimate examination);
- Pregnancy test;
- The availability of Emergency Hormonal Contraception (EHC) (morning after pill);
- The provision of condoms;
- Advice on contraception;
- Support for those who want to stop smoking;
- Signposting to appropriate organisations to help those with emotional issues.
Our main aim is to make sure that all our students are happy and healthy while studying at SERC so that they can achieve their qualifications and accomplish their goals So don’t worry in silence; go and talk to the experts and get the right help at the SERC Health.
Ruth can be contacted on mobile : 077 5331 0352
Appointments can be made through email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Health Service
The South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust's Sexual Health Service is based at the Downe Hospital, Downpatrick, with additional clinics in Bangor and Lisburn. You do not have to be referred by a doctor – we provide free sexual health care and advice for all age groups, including testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and genital conditions. Urgent and non urgent appointments are available, and the service is strictly confidential.
For more information, click here
- Healthy Eating for Teens
- Couch to 5k
- Coping with Exams
- How much do you know about sexual health quiz?
- Sex & Young People
- Sexual Health Information
- Public Health Agency Information
- Health Improvement Resources
- Boys Bodies Q&A
- Girls Bodies Q&A
- Contraception: what's right for me?
- Is your partner treating you properly?
SERC Health - Lisburn