Hospital Travel Costs Scheme

You may be able to get financial help from the Hospital Travel Costs Scheme if you're on a low income, need HSC treatment at a hospital, other HS centre or private clinic and have been referred by an Health Service hospital consultant.


Who can claim?

You can claim Hospital Travel Costs Scheme if you, or those you depend on, get at least one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (Income Based) 
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income-related) 
  • Guarantee Pension Credit

You may also qualify if your income is £15,276 .00 or less and you get one of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit (with or without Working Tax Credit) 
  • Working Tax Credit with the disability element or severe disability element

If an adult or a dependent child has to travel to your treatment with you for medical reasons, you can claim their travel costs too.

If a member of your family receives IS, JSA (income based) or ESA (income-related) you will have to claim help from the Hospital Travel Costs Scheme. For Pension Credit Guarantee Credit the entitlement is automatic regardless of who in the household receives the benefit.

If you're on a low income but don't get any of these benefits or allowances, you may still claim travel costs through the HS low income support scheme (go to section 'HS low income support scheme').

For more information please visit the NIdirect website.